Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 40

    A Trip to Mainau Island

    September 26, 2023 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Konstanz is an attractive city situated on the edge of Lake Constance (aka The Bodensee). It has a population of some 80,000 people and straddles the border between Germany and Switzerland. Its unique position was hugely significant during WW2, when the Germans heavily fortified the border to stop Jews and others from fleeing to neutral Switzerland.

    Today the border is easy to ignore. Apart from a sign advising that there are restrictions in carrying certain goods across the border to Switzerland, there are no other obvious reminders that you have entered a foreign country.

    Today was our "free day" in Konstanz. We could spend it any way we chose, however our entire group decided to use the time visiting nearby Mainau Island. This island lies just off the coast of the lake and is situated about 10 km from the centre of Konstanz. When we told the hotel receptionist about our plans, she helpfully handed each of us a free bus pass. That was a surprise, and a big contrast to the pirate taxi we had been fleeced by in Ulm.

    A short time later we were sharing the bus ride with a whole load of noisy secondary students and their hard working teachers. And guess where they were all heading ? To the same place we were.

    Mainau Island is now a large botanical garden, with acres of manicured lawns, flower gardens and even a Baroque Palace. While you might normally expect such botanical gardens to be free, we were somewhat stunned when we discovered that we would have to stump up the outrageous sum of 26 Euro each (about $50). And that was for the Seniors' Discount. There went our entire budget for the day.

    Fortunately the steep entrance fee was (almost) worth it. The place certainly was beautiful, and the views out over the fog bound Lake Constance were magical. I had to admit it was unlike any other place we had visited during this trip, especially the butterfly enclosure where we were attacked by hundreds of giant carnivorous flying insects.

    After 4 hours wandering Mainau Island we were positively exhausted. It was time to head for the peace of our hotel room. Unfortunately, the return bus was even more packed than the outward one. This seems to have become a feature of public transport during this trip. I am not looking forward to the bus and train transfers that we have to endure over the next couple of weeks.

    Late in the afternoon we decided to dine in that fine Scottish Restaurant called McDonalds. It might not be Michelin starred, but at least it did not break what's left of my flagging financial resources.

    Tomorrow, we depart this city and get back on the bikes for a 4 day circumnavigation around Lake Constance. The weather continues to be absolutely perfect, and is predicted to remain so for the forseeable future.
    Read more