Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Walking our Legs Off in Paris

    October 16, 2023 in France ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    My biggest concern before we arrived in Paris was just how mobile we would be. Maggie had been seriously compromised with a bad back, and walking any distance had been very hard for her. And yet the only way to truly explore Paris is on two legs. This was truly a dilemma.

    I don't know whether it is because her back is healing, or whether she is just running on pure adrenaline. Whatever the reason, I am relieved to report that we have been able to cover large portions of the city on foot. Although Maggie is still in some discomfort, she has still been able to walk a considerable distance. That is a huge relief for both of us.

    This morning we set off heading away from the river towards Les Halles, and managed to rediscover the place where we both had glasses made when we here in 2019. The place makes the claim that they can make your glasses "in 10 minutes or 10 Euro". And that is what they do.

    When we returned this morning, we found that the business had actually expanded to include the next couple of shops. It is now possible to watch the entire process happening before your eyes. First you do the eye test to determine your prescription, then you choose the frames, then from then on the whole process is automated. A short time later your new spectacles are ready ! Simple.

    We then wandered along the right bank of the river to the Louvre Museum, where we were surrounded by a whole tribe of gypsies, all trying to accost us with their bogus petitions. This scam has been going on for many years, and has resisted all attempts by the authorities to stamp it out. Fortunately they are not aggressive, and they generally are deterred by a firm "non".

    Our walk took us through the Tuileries Gardens and back onto the Rue de Rivoli. We followed it as far as the famous chocolate shop called "Angelina's". This place is regarded as a Paris institution, and always has a long queue of hopeful patrons trying to gain entry. We had already visited the shop a couple of times previously, and the last time we were there, we were both underwhelmed. We had other plans in store.

    Way back on the L'ile St Louis there is a tiny Salon de The, where we have made a habit of enjoying a quiet lunch every time we have been in Paris. So that is where we headed next. It was a long walk, but we made it in time for lunch.

    Maggie and I then separated to make our own ways back to our apartment, having another close look at the progress on Notre Dame. By the time I finally climbed the six floors to our room, my watch was telling me I had walked over 15,000 steps. My legs were telling me it had been many more.

    This really is a hectic, crazy, eccentric, enigmatic, confronting and wonderful city. With all its faults, I can never get tired of visiting.
    Read more