Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    ... in Fort Myers

    January 30, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    Since we weren't able to check in to our next resort until tomorrow, we decided to drive cross country to Fort Myers so that we could visit Kathy & Blaine at their RV park. We enjoyed the 4 hour drive past cattle ranches, orange groves, and state parks. The RV park was very muddy from the record-setting rainfall the area has received in the past couple of weeks. We had a really good visit and a fresh seafood dinner at Coconut Jack's Waterfront Grill in Bonita Springs.

    After spending the night at the Best Western in Fort Myers we drove to Sanibel Island, one of our favourite places in Florida. Sadly, fish killed by red tide littered the beach. We strolled the beach for an hour and then cruised around the very crowded island, stopping for a picnic along the causeway.

    Our next destination was Orlando, a 3 hour drive through central Florida. We stopped at one of the roadside stands to buy some freshly picked oranges from a friendly Mexican farmer. We wanted to avoid the busy interstate, so our alternate route meant there were several small towns along the way delaying our arrival in Orlando until after nightfall.
    Read more