Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Wow what a whopper!

    February 17, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 28 °C

    The Australians will tell you that the waters around the Great Barrier Reef are the best for fishing in the whole world. Well yesterday we put that to the test and went out for some deep sea fishing. This was the first time Tracy had ever fished with a rod and a reel and it proved to be a great introduction! We sailed out with another couple and when the guys rigged up the rods the first thing we noticed was that the lures we would be using were bigger than the fish we had caught in the Philippines! The second thing we noticed was that the boat kept moving so that it appeared our lures were swimming to the big fish we were after. Initially it looked like we were going to be unlucky and not catch anything when suddenly Tracy’s rod bent over double and she was called up to bring in a huge Spanish Mackerel! The guys even had to club it over the head to quieten it down. Great fun!
    Today is our last day here on Lizard Island and we packed up after lunch and flew back to Cairns where we will head down to Melbourne for the night. Tomorrow we fly across to Vietnam for the last leg and adventure of our 2019 trip.
    Read more