Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Penguins and more penguins

    November 18, 2006 in New Zealand ⋅ ⛅ 50 °F

    After getting over the initial shock of Kim's skin condition, we headed into Christchurch for some shopping. We both purchased polar fleece jackets, anticipating another layer of warmth may be needed on our tramp. The weather is actually sunny'ish today, but rain is forecasted for this afternoon. We had lunch at a Thai take away, following a noon hour interaction with locals.

    By the time we finished lunch, it was almost two, so we sped south to Oamaru, where the penguins can be seen at dusk. We arrive at the Visitors' Centre by 5:35 and Kim is complaining of itching. I've already tried to calm her with Calamine lotion, but she's acting up again. The volunteer at the Visitors' Center informs us that all medical clinics close by 5:30. Bummer. I finally talk her into trying some Benadryl, so we get the address to the local Chemist (pharmacy). Before we leave, we purchase a tour of yellow-eyed penguins for 7pm and blue penguins at 8:30pm.

    I won't go into the pharmacy episode, where Kim is lifting her shirt and flailing about showing the pharmacist what exactly it is that has gotten her; but, he did agree with me, it's not ringworm but some type of allergic reaction.

    The yellow eyed penguins are specific to the southern part of New Zealand and live nowhere else in the world. There are about 26 living in this area, and 18 of them are breeding. We were allowed to get up close to one of the nests and see a grown penguin with its two chicks. They are about two weeks old and already about 6-8 inches tall, having tripled their weight since birth. I snap some photos, but I don't think the light was too good. Did you know that the yellow eyed penguins mate for life? When the parents have chicks, they spend alternating days fishing all day or sitting with the chicks all day, until the chicks can feed themselves. We spent about 45 minutes with the penguin, also seeing others in the area, but they were too far to get a good look.

    By the time we finished, the wind had kicked up, and it was getting very cold. We got back to the campa and put on additional layers before watching the blue penguins. There is an old rock quarry on the coast in Oamaru's downtown area. The penguins come ashore here every night at dusk. We waited and the first raft of them came to shore. They are much smaller than the yellow eyed. The yellow were about 70 cm tall, and these are easily half that, probably smaller. They rolled on shore with the waves, tumbling as the curl broke onto the sand. It looked painful, but they seem unconcerned. They made their way halfway up the shore and just sat around. Did you know that these penguins quack just like ducks? Anyway, it wasn't until the next flotilla came ashore that the first penguins ran up to the bush and into their nests. This happened with the next wave, as well, until all were ashore. Hearing the chicks in the bush, we turned our binoculars to watch the parental penguins feeding their young. Some were so hungry they attacked the parent to get the food, fighting off their sibling for more. We watched for quite a while, then decided it was time to go get warm. As we drove away, penguins were everywhere, all through town. We were very careful not to hit one, but I wasn't able to avoid the hobbit that crossed in front of me. It was just a little bump.
    Read more