Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    A Day in Lewes

    October 10, 2012 in England ⋅ ⛅ 46 °F

    It was nice to take it easy today. We slept in a bit, had nice conversation over morning tea, and took in the views of Lewes from Amy's hillside home. We didn't get out of the house until after 1pm. And that was to go eat!

    We corralled the dogs and walked down the hill to the Butternut Cafe. As Amy ordered for us, she asked that I decide where to sit: the main floor, outside, or downstairs. Before I got all the way down the stairs, I could see the lower level, which was open, airy, and empty. "Let's do downstairs," I reported and retreated back down the old stone stairway.

    The owner, a friend of Amys, came down to greet us. She was very pleasant and grateful for our compliments on the place. Amy pointed out to her that I had mentioned how warm I felt the dining area was, very inviting. The owner laughed and commented that their efforts were paying off but there was still a lot to do. Then, Amy explained that this area had been an unfinished basement, with damp walls, no light, and a general creepy feeling. When Claire, the owner, had asked Amy what she thought about remodeling the area, Amy wasn't sold. Specifically, her dog had been with her and the dog hardly wanted to go in and then wanted badly to get out. Not so inviting for a restaurant and an eternity to the warmth of the place now. Claire had vision and a lot of sage! She said she had been cleansing the area regularly. I politely said it must be working. She left us, and Amy leaned over to let us know someone had been murdered in the corner just behind us. Lovely.

    We finished lunch and set out for a walking tour of Lewes. We didn't get very far, when we checked the time and discovered there was only 20 minutes left before the shop stopped serving tea. Although comfortably stuffed, we went in for tea, scones, and clotted cream. Wow! I'm gonna be so plump when I get home. The clotted cream is milk one stage before butter. It is creamy, like melted chocolate, and yummy like butter. Throw a little jam on there and oo-la-la, it's culinary heaven!

    We finally got going into town around 5pm-a later start than we hoped! We strolled up some original cobblestone roads, down High Street (the main shopping area), and by the White Hart Hotel. The hotel is in disrepair, which is a pity. It is where Thomas Payne did some of his best work before coming to America. Maybe Americans should read his pamphlet "Common Sense" before the election. Just my opinion.

    Our other point stop was the memorial to the Protestants, who the Catholics burned at the stake. In the 1500's, the Protestants became martyrs to the cause, and another memorial, with each of their names is up by Amy's house. I'm planning to walk up there tomorrow.

    Coming up in another few weeks is the bonfire night. Each year huge celebrations are held on Nov 5 to celebrate the thwarting of the Gunpowder Plot. This was an attempt by the Catholics, in 1605, to blow up the House of Parliament. The plot was discovered and the offenders were later hanged, drawn, and quartered. Now, that's a bad day!

    We returned to the house and lounged for the rest of the night. Tomorrow were off to Stonehenge and Avebury.
    Read more