Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Myra Canyon Rail Trail

    May 16, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Getting out of the cities and towns and into the mountains gives me energy and insight. I followed a hunch that the Rail Trail reformed from an old line from Vancouver to Grand Forks would be intriguing. I was not disappointed.

    At 1000m above Kelowna, this Rail Trail was a 12 kilometre section built around a very deep canyon. Though not having much change in elevation, the construction of this line provided plenty of engineering challenges - 18 bridges [all wood trestles], 2 tunnels and who knows how many cuttings and filled valleys.

    Wonderful views of rushing snow melt, the distant city and lake below, hints of the remaining snow, avenues of fir trees creating dark alleys, jagged rock cliffs above and below, dark tunnels and clear skies made for happy cycling.

    The 24km return trip was completed within 2 hours. But it was the fresh air, the pauses for breath and photos, the regular chats with other Trail users, the exhilarating views and amazing feats of engineering was like icing on the cake.

    A well invested two hours... and Sheree got to continue reading her book!
    Read more