Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Too hot... we're off

    May 15, 2018 in Canada ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    The Okanagan valley fulfills its claim - the warmer, dryer and fruitier part of Canada. We arrived to lakes, girded by orchards and vineyards, and a myriad of rocky slopes.

    Despite being steep and rocky in many parts on both sides of a 100-kilometre lake, It's an amazingly productive area. It seems like every pocket of land is given to growing something.

    The farmers of past generations were resilient in harnessing the soil, adding water [of which there is plenty] and producing. With the bonus of a milder Canadian climate, spring comes earlier and summer is longer, giving a more longer growing season.

    If you are into wine, fruits or golf, you’d love Osoyoos (say that 3 times quickly) to Vernon, towns at the bottom to top of the Okanagan Valley. Kelowna is the capital, where we spent one night in an apple orchard RV park.

    BUT for us when it got to 31 degrees was just too hot. We didn't come here for Brisbane temps, so our two night stay was shortened and off we went to greener, cooler pastures. A half hour's drive saw us again back in snow at 1700m.

    Our new town for the night, Princeton, a small country hideaway on Highway 3, famous for.... [I'll get back to you on that one!] Another day well spent!!
    Read more