Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Sunshine Coast (ha, ha)

    October 21, 2022 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 23 °C

    En route to our stay in Landsborough last Friday, we passed through the ‘un-user friendly’ town of Gympie. Supposedly home of a giant pineapple (sadly defunct now), Gympie’s streets were afflicted with steep hills and tight turns - treacherous in a motor home. The supermarket car park was cramped, with no suitable parking for Matty, so we had to abandon our shopping ambitions, plus it was ‘absolutely bucketing it down’. We didn’t even get out to have a look around, we negotiated ourselves up and down the hills and out of town as quickly as we could. Sorry Gympie, you made a bad first (and last) impression!

    We then motored on to Noosa Heads. More ‘user friendly’ street and parking wise, it is known for its beautiful beach, shops and eateries etc…. but it was still ‘absolutely bucketing it down’.

    The street was empty of all but a few folk (prob tourists like us), everything was grey, and the rain soaked pavements reflected monotone skies and buildings back at us.

    We did stop here long enough for an eggs bene (our brunch of choice) but gave up any thoughts of sightseeing and carried on with our mission (not managing to find the big pelican either). Shame as we’d been looking forward to Noosa.

    We arrive at Landsborough and set up camp quickly (yep, still raining).

    By morning it had been raining solidly for 24 hours. I allowed myself a glance at the creek, which ran along the top of the site, wondering how much rain it would take to overflow.

    We bought a two day ticket to Australia Zoo, but went into Caloundra first to see what wet weather gear might be available. As I walked through the bikinis, cozzie cover ups and sun dresses, I realised we were on our own and had to make do with our current totally unsuitable wardrobe!

    So after our pit stop, off we went to the Zoo…..
    Read more