Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Off to Nepal

    November 4, 2019 in India ⋅ ⛅ 31 °C

    Travel day, Calcutta Airport to Kathmandu Nepal. Air India flight 247 non stop direct. Some of our fellow travellers from the boat are on the same flight. It’s about an hour and and a half long and Air India served a hot meal.
    When we arrived in Nepal we arrived at the same time as some other international flights, and the customs area was crowded. Liz and Alan, Dianne and I all have e-visas that we got online. We need to pay the 30 USD each for our visas on arrival. There is a line up to pay, and a line up to validate your visa. There is another lineup for you if you don’t have a e-visa, which we thankfully avoid. Still it takes well over an hour to complete the process. After that’s all done, they scan you for metal before you pick up your luggage. I’m pretty stressed by the time we get our suitcases. A couple of times I thought I was going to have to tune some people up about manners and big crowd behaviour. It all worked out without the extra drama, and we were greeted by our guide Abit.
    It’s dark now as we exit the airport and ride to our hotel. Immediately it strikes us that Nepal is cleaner than the last place we were. The roads are rough, and the air is dusty, but it is cooler and our hotel is an oasis from that.
    Read more