Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 28

    On our way home

    November 18, 2019 in Turkey ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Our flight from Kathmandu to Istanbul was an hour delayed. The delay we spent sitting on the airplane. Next hurdle is being at Istanbul airport for 14 hours waiting for our connection.

    We are very thankful we chose Istanbul for a connection and the wisdom or luck to upgrade our aeroplan tickets to business class. The business class lounge is the best! There are many comfortable ways to spend a fair amount of time here and good food to boot. I think we will survive.

    Leaving Istanbul fog set and caused an initial 30 minute delay, which grew into almost 2 hours. The fog lifted and a dozen Turkish planes lined up to take off. Yup we are at the back of the cue. Right now it is a parking lot for jets!

    High maintenance travellers surround us! We were held up as a couple dropped their iPhone somewhere in the seat. A flight attendant assessed the situation and maintenance was called. In total 3 maintenance guys and 2 flight attendants tore the seat apart.Twenty minutes later the phone found and the seat reassembled. After we started to taxi, the girl drops her phone into the seat again. Her irate travelling partner starts tearing the seat apart again. He is red faced, but finds the phone before the flight attendants discover what is going on.

    Another passenger stressed he would miss his flight was barking at the in charge. All sorts of bells were going off as passengers were asking for service -drinks, earphones, blankets. These girls were hopping.

    Tom and I enjoy people watching and their drama ( as long it is not ours) I think I will snooze now!

    Arriving in Frankfurt we knew we had to step lively to make the flight. Initial security we cruised as pros; picked up our new AC boarding passes and went to the next security. Here, I am treated to the full touchy feely pat down and then we high tail it to the gate just in time to board. Homeward bound, in nine hours we will touch down in Calgary..
    Read more