Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Ponferrada from El Acebo

    October 26, 2023 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    Started out the day in a steady hard rain. That turned out to be the theme for the day. Apparently, there is a huge Atlantic system that is pumping precipitation into Europe and particularly Spain. The forecast is for more of the same for the near future. The small village of El Acebo was closed up tight, so walked to the next small village, Riego de Ambros, for coffee and food. It is a pretty, well kept village.

    The local people at the Albergue said the Camino from there on down to Molina Seca was much easier than the previous day coming down from Cruz Ferro. Except that it was raining so hard the trail was a stream most of the way. And it was still pretty damn steep. At times like this, I remember the old fishing proverb, “the worst day fishing is better than the best day at work”. If I didn’t have good gear, this day would have been miserable. As it was, I had time to reflect as I paddled my way down the creek. The Camino is good for reflecting.

    So I made it to level ground at Molina Seca, and from there the remaining 6 k walk to Ponferrada is entirely on sidewalk. I decided to celebrate surviving getting down the mountain by getting a private room instead of staying in an albergue. Was able to do much needed laundry at the hotel also.

    Ponferrada is kind of lacking in character. It’s nice enough, but the people don’t seem as open and friendly as other cities. I am planning on visiting the Templar castle on the way out of town tomorrow morning.

    Time for bed - g’night!
    Read more