Satellite
  • Day 19

    Last Day with Our Tour Friends

    June 16, 2019 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 86 °F

    Today was the last day with our tour group. We started early to beat the heat, with a walking history tour of the Old City of Dubrovnik. The Old City is completely surrounded by the walls. Local guide Roberto, who was born and still lives within the city walls led us through the narrow streets, relating stories about life here in the Middle Ages up until now. He is passionate about his home and recounted the stories with humor.
    We did some shopping along the Stradun, the wide main street, and explored the narrow side streets to find a good spot for lunch. It's hard to capture all of the charming small nooks and crannies, as well as the impressive architecture of the large squares, fountains churches and the Rector's Palace. And of course, all around are the massive walls and towers familiar to fans of Game of Thrones. We might have to watch a few episodes, just to say "hey, we were there!".
    A little rest back at the hotel and then it was time for our final dinner with our Rick Steves Tour group. We were so busy talking and eating, Myj forgot to get pictures, but we have the memories. As with our Scotland tour, everyone got along, there weren't any grumps, and we formed good friendships with several people.
    Some of the tour members are leaving first thing in the morning, some are traveling on for a few more days or weeks in other Paris, Munich, Dublin or other destinations. We have one more day in Dubrovnik before we fly home.
    Read more