Satellite
  • Day 75

    The Hague

    June 17, 2017 in the Netherlands ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Goooood sleep.
    We ate cereal for breakfast then made up sandwiches for our trip to the beach. #adulting
    It was a 6km walk there 😩
    On the way we walked back down the red light district street heheh.
    We also walked past the Palace of Peace where they give out the Nobel peace prize so that was pretty cool.
    Also found out the other day we did not walk past the international criminal courts - bummer.
    I had a wedgie the whole way it was so uncomfortable. Undies kept riding up 😒
    Just before we reached the beach we got stuck up in an obviously very popular, Saturday Market.
    We tried to get through quickly but people were so slow.
    I was busting for the toilet so we had a drink at a cafe so I could have access to the loo. They had a bowl asking for 50c. I did not pay.
    We then walked along the beach for a while.
    The beach is very nice but simply doesn't compare. The sand is similar but the waves were practically non existent. The lack of palm trees also made it look bland.
    We wanted to sit in the shade rather than in the sun so we set off towards the pier.
    While this beaches surf is lacking it is incredible on every other way.
    For the section of beach we walked past it had sea life, a circus, zip lining, bungee jumping, a ferries wheel, trampolines, beachside restaurants/cafes, set up sport zones, games, markets, carousel you name it!
    Will reckons they wouldn't need all that stuff if the beach itself was better but I would love to just combine both 😍😍 great day out for families!!
    Oh, a jumping castle too.
    We sat under the pier and smashed our sandwiches. The pickle mayo we bought we were going to donate to our host - not anymore - is coming for the ride 🤤
    We had a very small snooze in the sun. We covered our faces with our jackets.
    We decided after procrastinating for a long while we might as well head back.
    6kms to go! Woohoo!..
    We had 3 separate breaks on the walk home. 2 on benches and 1 in a park. We finally made it and we were both so glad. It was a great day but also very very long.
    I had another nap.
    I then really needed to book Denmark to lower my stress levels but Will wanted food first.
    He wants to take the soup to the next place and get a kebab.
    We are both a little burnt but not too bad considering our lack of sun safety today.

    Our host has had like 5 showers the past day.
    I booked 2 trains and Copenhagen + Aarhus accommodations.
    The trains will be interesting. One goes to Hamburg then the next takes 7 hours to get to Copenhagen.
    Afterwards we were going to go to Berlin but looks like now we are going to Norway. I suppose I'll cope better in their Summer than Winter lol.
    We FaceTimed Jess. I miss Jaxon.
    So keen for Amsterdam tomorrow.
    Read more