Satellite
  • Day 9

    Dingboche

    September 12, 2019 in Nepal ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    Today was the first day I successfully closed my duffel bag without assistance.
    My morning fun also included a nose bleed.
    Off we went.
    It was an easy start today going downhill until we reached a bridge. The old one lay nearby destroyed us the 2015 earthquake.
    Then we went up up up. There is a lot of big boulders covered in white script.
    We eventually arrived at the Pangboche monastery, a stop a lot of people miss because you have to climb higher to reach it.
    Me and Will were super keen because it’s home to the famous Yeti skull.
    Pangboche is the oldest Sherpa village.
    The monastery was built in the 16th century.

    It cost 250 rupees to enter.
    Hated taking off my shoes my feet reeked!
    Inside wasn’t as nice as yesterday’s but it was still cute. Much smaller and less WOW factor but still had lovely artistry and paintings etc.
    the yeti skull and hand were in a locked box. Very cool. I don’t know if they have ever been examined (can’t check no wifi 😅) but I’d love to know more about them. The hand is huge and the head has fur rather than hair. They look like real bone to me 🤷🏼‍♀️
    Very cool. Wish we could take photos but at least my entry ticket which is in my written journal has a pic.

    We then had tea in a tea house just above. I gave a dog a few biscuits and it followed us for the next hour and a half to the next village. Haha
    There was also a ratty kitten, I would love to squeeze but it had yucky ears :(

    1.5hour walk to our lunch spot. For my hot drink today I had hot grape and really liked it.
    Our dog friend seemed to know some of the dogs and abandoned us to go play. 😍
    Today’s hike was my favourite, after lunch we then kept climbing but it was a gradual and not a suicide mountain.
    I did roll my ankle but my boots saved me.

    There were 2 sections of the trek that killed me. Due to falling rocks you had to be super quick to cross.
    COULD. NOT. BREATH. 😂
    We saw some wild yaks. The wild ones are fluffier.
    The river we have been following for day one finally and to a fork. The left side was being fed from island peak and the right was from the Everest glacier.
    I drank little water today cause I’m pretty sure my hand sanitizer got into my water supply when I clears the nozzle.

    We arrived!!! 🤗🤗🤗🤗
    We are always, ALWAYS in the tea house furthest from the entrance gate.
    We had tea. (Love this system gets your fluids up)
    Got my sleeping bag out for the first time. Dinner then bed.
    Read more