Satellite
  • Day 63

    Altiplanic lagoons Miscanti & Miñique

    December 1, 2017 in Argentina ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    From Piedras Rojas, we drove to the other side of the mountains to the twin altiplanic lakes Miscanti and Miñique. The lakes are at 4200 mts with Miscanti being 5 mts higher than Miñique. There was an entry fee of 3000 CLP per person for the entry of the lakes. We stopped at Miscanti and had our breakfast there with beautiful views of the deep blue water in the Miscanti lake with the Miscanti and Miñique volcanoes in the background.

    The two lakes are a deep blue, backed by snow-capped volcanoes and surrounded by a large plain of yellow tussock grass that whips in the wind. This grass is one of the preferred foods of the vicuña, the shyest of the llama-like species in the area. We saw some near here. The protected lakes make for a great photo opportunity, but swimming is not allowed.

    The lakes are managed by an indigenous community located in Socaire, a town often visited for its handmade crafts and local historical church.
    The Altiplanic Lagoons are located 140 kms from San Pedro de Atacama, and it is generally very cold in this area due to the high altitude.
    Read more