Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    South Australia Sun

    July 1, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    After a night at Paringa camp we backtracked 12km to the border we crossed yesterday to have the mandatory covid test for us to enter SA. About a 30 minute wait in the sun chatting to other travellers. Then onto Berri for groceries and lunch by the Murray River. The temperature was about 20 degrees and was the first day that we felt warm since we left. In fact later in the afternoon as we were travelling directly into the sun for the whole trip, the car decided to supply cooling rather than the heater that it was used to blowing. We are looking forward to more aircon use as we head north .

    Today's drive was about 300km but was leisurely and the roads were pretty good. The large trucks like the speed limit of 110km/hr so I always gave them room as the overtook us and they all acknowledged me for doing this.

    We stopped at Morgan for fuel and to watch the ferry go back and forth across the Murray. There are a few free crossings like this ferry which has large winches on board which creep along two large cables fixed to both sides of the river. A simple and effective mechanism.
    The last leg was along long straights of barren flat plain. This area was very similar to the Maniototo area in Central Otago .

    Tonight we tried a Wiki-camps suggestion and have parked up at an old railway station platform in a village called Yarcowie. Had a quick walk around the village which was a busy place in the 1940s but now has a population less than 30 people. This is a test for Birdsville to test our solar power system.
    Read more