Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Floodway, Grid and Crest

    July 2, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 12 °C

    Today’s travel is bought to you by the words Floodway, Grid and Crest. We left Wilpena Pound this morning and took the scenic route through the Flinders National Park to BlinmanThis is a small village that has a historic copper mine. It reminded us very much of Clyde but smaller. We stopped for a coffee and was tempted by a Quandong tart which is evidently a native fruit similar to a peach. We had it for supper and was very impressed.

    The next 30km were our first dirt road (gravel or shingle for our kiwi readers) The road went from Blinmart to Parachilna and had the most beautiful scenery through the river gorge. Once back on the Explorer Highway we pushed through to Leigh Creek which was so like new Cromwell. It was a town built in the early eighties for the workers of the coal mine which is now closed. So a large town shopping area mainly empty and lots of identical houses. We did a top up supermarket shop as not sure what will be available from this point on.

    Tonight’s stop is Marree which is the last town before the start of both the Oodnadatta and Birdsville track. It was supposed to be a very big weekend here with all the Big Red Bash people passing through and Camel races due here at Marree. The camel races have been cancelled due to Covid restrictions but it seems everyone has still turned up. The camping ground is jammed packed and I am very grateful to have our own toilet and shower, otherwise it could be a long wait!,

    There was a really nasty wind when we arrived so went for a short walk to the pub for a drink. Then home to snuggle down in the van, so worth the extra hassle of having to tow it especially as we scored one of the last powered site. Tomorrow morning we start the track and I expect it will be a bit of a convoy looking at all the vans here tonight.
    Read more