Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 25

    Kings Canyon Proper

    July 21, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    A leisurely start at Kings Canyon but not too leisurely as the rim walk planned is supposed to be started by 9am due to the heat. Because it's winter we were in no danger. About 18 degrees with a fresh breeze was perfect. The route is clockwise as per instructions. The first part is a steep climb up the side of the canyon. 100 vertical metres in the first 300 metres sure got the muscles warmed up.

    The whole canyon is layered rocks which are 400 million years old. These are some of the oldest rocks on earth. Some amazing shapes of waves like we see on a beach after a tide has dropped. It is really weird to think the whole area was once under the sea, and many times you were sure someone had placed them specially to form the shapes.

    As you will see on the pics this place is spectacular. So dry and barren yet some trees manage to survive. The circuit is about 6km and has emergency phones and AEDs dotted along the route. This walk would be hard in summer. Julie had taken her tramping stick which was a bonus with all the ups and downs. We took about 3 hours to complete the whole circuit and even our fit legs and joints noticed the strain.

    Relaxing afternoon reading and afternoon naps. Even and a dingo trotted past us. There are strict rules not to feed or engage with them and even the rubbish bins are caged. All footwear and food is to be inside overnight too.
    We walked across to the more exclusive part of the resort which seemed very quiet. I expect it is normally full on international tour groups that are non-existent presently.

    Dinner outside for a change. We have a bug tent but apart from bushflies there isn't much else that has annoyed us.
    Read more