Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 30

    Another day heading North

    July 26, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    Another 460km in front of us again today. We decided to start with some more exploring before we hit the track. Not very far from the camp are the East MacDonnell Ranges. We visited the two closest sites being Emily and Jessie Gaps. They are both lovely sandy creeks that over time have cut through the rocks. Both sites have rock art telling the creation stories of that region. There were strict rules on taking photos of the art work. No images are to leave the area. There is also a sign stating that no indigenous women or children are allowed to view.

    We left Alice around 10am and headed to our lunch stop at Ti Tree. As we were leaving we saw some of the old military vehicles we saw yesterday. They obviously make good speed as we did not pass any of them further up the road. Ti Tree is just a roadhouse with a bar, a school, police station and camping ground. The kids must be pretty tough as the Aussie Rules field is pure red sand so any tumbles would leave a mark.
    The road was long and straight mostly today and we shared the driving task. Most of the traffic today were caravans heading south with a few roadtrains to keep us alert.

    The intention was to camp at the Devil's Marbles but we were far too late to get site. It is a conservation area so cheap sites and I think you would have to be there by lunchtime to get a spot. We did a walk while we were there and went up to the lookout. We thought we might have to drive another 100km to Tennant Creek but found a parking spot 10km up the road at Bonney Creek. Around 20 campers there and we were rewarded with a fabulous sunset. Another big day tomorrow but at least most of it will be new roads.
    Read more