Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Back-tracking north

    July 25, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 14 °C

    After a chilly start in Uluru we hit the road and headed back to Alice Springs which was 460km. From here on we will travel north towards the tropical part of Australia.

    We topped up fuel at Curtin Springs meeting the lady who had also supplied us fuel as we passed through 3 days ago. A bit of a chat we found out that she has just moved there 3 months ago from Christchurch and used to work in the City council's contact centre so we knew lots of crossover people. Totally reinforces how small our world is. There was also a road train there transporting vintage war vehicles while their owners were in convoy following with caravans. The road train was topping up fuel- that fuel bill wasn't small.

    A stop for lunch at Finke River then back to the same camp ground in Alice as last week. Groceries and picked up some alcohol from a bottle store- complete with 2 policemen checking that the local laws were maintained. Julie's fake ID passed scrutiny- haha.

    We have absolutely loved our time in the desert with its incredible landscapes. There were many breathtaking moments and we have added a few more photos of the past couple of days. We won't miss the red dust everywhere and getting a static shock everytime we touch something metal and the bush flies of course! We have travelled over 5000kms and paid between $1.57 to $ 2.05 a litre for diesel- still pretty good compared to NZ prices.

    Another big distance day tomorrow but plenty to see with a few stops on the way. Weather for travel is perfect except that we are traveling into the sun for the next few days. Definitely not complaining as we haven't seen rain since we left Victoria a month ago.
    Read more