Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 43

    Billabongs

    August 8, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    We checked out two local walks today. The first was Mary River Billabong which was a small loop. A few people had already walked ahead of us so we weren't catching the overnight spider webs. The next walk was around the Bird Billabong. It was a bigger loop of 4.5km. By then it was getting warm and the first half of the walk was exposed on the flat lake bed where water would be during the wet season.

    There were lots of trails into the water through the grasses and we presume these are croc trails as they were wide and well flattened. There were a few roos galloping away as we approached. The roos up here are a lot smaller than down south. No more than 4 feet tall mostly but very fast of course. The Billabong lived up to its name with lots of water birds floating and hunting. We can imagine the view is completely different in the wet season with lots of fresh vegetation, flowering plants and plenty of water.

    Back to camp for a couple of swims in the pool and a book read. Also decided to try the pub meals for our last night at the Bark Hut Inn. The food was pretty standard pub fair although Regan's buffalo sausages were very tasty.

    We copped yet another stone chip on the windscreen yesterday but the heat of today has turned it into a very long crack. Will monitor its progress but we expect we may be heading back to Darwin soon for a replacement.
    Read more