Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    Jabiru

    August 9, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    Just a small and easy 140km drive to Jabiru today which is the heart of Kakadu National Park. Another warm one though. Uneventful trip except when I recognised Trev (and Di) at a rest area. We had met these two at a party in Tassy in 2007 then at another party in Bali in 2017. Friends of friends so was great to see them. We decided to set up camp next to each other as well as sharing dinner and a few drinks to catch up with the last few years.

    Julie and I also planned the next week of our travels. This is a new idea for us to plan ahead but as I have to return to Darwin this Saturday for a new windscreen we need to make sure we are camped near Darwin on Friday.

    We did a quick drive to the Jabiru town Plaza to have a look. It was very like Twizel (NZ) and we found it had been built in 1982 to support a Uranium mine which explained the likeness. There was not much there so went to the local supermarket for coffee and milkshake. Back to the camp for a swim in the somewhat cool but refreshing pool and nothing else for the day except lots of conversation over a few refreshments ......
    Read more