Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Cahills Crossing

    August 10, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    We set off earlier this morning with Di and Trev and headed out about 40km to Ubirr. This is a large area of Aboriginal rock art. The rocky outcrops have a lot of over-hangs where indigenous people would shelter. Just beside this area was a massive flood plain which I'm sure was a great food gathering place. We all climbed up to the lookout and luckily there was some cloud that kept the temperature below 30 degrees.

    The temp hit 36 later. Nearby was Cahills Crossing which is famous for croc viewing. (check out YouTube). This ford across to Arnhem Land has been around for a long time. We were told the best time to view is on the incoming tide where the water rushes in across the ford and the crocs wait for the fish to get washed into their mouths.

    For a start all was quiet but once the tidal surge got bigger the crocs all lined up in their respective areas ready to feed. There were the two largest crocs at the front with the smaller ones behind. We think there were at least a dozen large crocs with the biggest easily 3metres long. We also had some entertainment watching the tourists getting too close to the water.

    The signs are very clear stating that people have died here from croc attacks. There were parents with kids getting photos, people fishing and one photographer who was determined to get as close as possible to the oldest croc, not good for the heart rate. There were also multiple 4wd vehicles going across the ford then returning putting up a few waves over the crocs. Arnhem land across the ford is a permit only area which I doubt these drivers would have permission to enter. Oh well, all part of the entertainment.

    By now the heat of the day was on us so back to the only store in Jabiru for cold drinks then a swim at the camp pool and a few drinks.
    Di and Trevor head off tomorrow and we have a very early start for a sunrise boat trip.
    Read more