Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 48

    Full Day Litchfield

    August 13, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 26 °C

    For a change we planned our day around the increasing temperatures. We headed out quite early and took the 4wd track into The Lost City. This is an area of large layered rocks surrounded by bush. The walk through the area was warm but still not quite 30 degrees. We were first to the area and by the time we left there were more people and a few on the single lane dirt track.

    Next place we headed to was Tolmer Falls. There was a loop track to the top of the Falls then we viewed the falls from the very well built platform. No swimming allowed here due to the bats that live down around the pool. It would also be a hard climb down.

    As the temperature was into the 30's it was time for a swim so we walked into the Cascades which is a large stream with a lot of rock pools. The track was flat to start with but then got a bit tricky with hard rock and angled jagged steps. We got most if the way in and met a couple who was struggling to get back to the car park. Fred from SA had slipped and broken or badly sprained his ankle. He had managed to get a bandage and a stick to use as a crutch but the heat and the terrain was almost impossible for him.

    I helped him over some very jagged rocks and he and his wife Maggie were happy to go on their own. I went for a swim then we walked back out and caught up with Fred who hadn't got too far. So I helped him for a while longer until the track became easier. They were insistent that we leave them so we hope they made it back to their campervan.

    Next pool for a swim was Wangi Falls. This is an easy access pool with a lot of people but was really big with a split waterfall at one end. The fresh water in the pools was cool enough to be refreshing but not too cool. We then attempted another 4wd track to the Blyth homestead which is abandoned house. Unfortunately about 1km in there was a long water crossing which was dirty water and an unknown depth. Usually to test water the passenger would wade in and test the water but in NT this is a risk, as there are croc warnings at all waterways. So we backed out and went to the final stop at Buley Rockhole.

    Buley has approximately 7 beautiful separate swimming holes cascading down a hill. It was fun climbing between the pools and cooling off as the car temperature gauge hit 39.5 degrees. We made it back to the camp for a shower. We had happy hour and a meal with Di and Trev who we have caught up to again in Lichfield. They head to WA tomorrow and we have decided to do the same!

    Tomorrow is a maintenance day. New windscreen for the ute and dentist for Regan.
    Read more