Satellite
  • Day 56

    Derby

    August 21, 2021 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 24 °C

    It was nice to have break from towing today. Leisurely start with some housework to remove red dust from the caravan, a never ending challenge. Walked into the town which was only 300 metres away. The CWA had a market which was small but there was music and a lot of locals. After walking a few more blocks we realised that this town is small with very few shops. The town is extremely well maintained and you sense there is a real sense of community.

    A drive down to the jetty to see the massive tidal movement in this area. It was first built in the 1860s and replaced in the 1970s. It is a curved wharf which I think is for the tidal flow. There is a 3km long causeway out to the jetty as there are miles of tidal flats. Today's high tide was just over 9metres which is one of the world's largest. The current flowing past was fast and dangerous. The signs warn not to swim. If the undercurrent doesn't get you the crocs will.

    A visit to the prison Boab tree where prisoners were placed inside it to rest before they were shipped away. The indigenous history up this way when Europeans arrived is very sad. Such a large clash of contrasting cultures caused so many issues. They estimate the boab tree is around 1500 years old. The Boab tree is protected up here so it is not uncommon to have a road diverted around a tree.

    Most of the afternoon was spent trying to make a itinerary for our time in WA. Sunset was back to the jetty to watch the sun move through the fire smoke of all the burn-offs that happen in the dry season in WA. A deep red colour across the water.
    Read more