Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 91

    Mullewa

    September 25, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 13 °C

    The campground was busy this morning as there was an influx of new bookings due to the school holidays. We noticed the increase in traffic almost immediately after leaving Kalbarri. On the way to Geraldton 3 out of 4 vehicles were towing a camper.

    We unfortunately missed Hutt Lagoon which is a lake that is bright pink for most of the year. There is an algae which causes the pink colour. It is actually harvested as it has high levels of betacaratine and is used as a natural food colouring.

    The landscape reminded us strongly of the land around Greta Valley and Motunau. There was plenty of crops and even sheep farms. Our first stop was Northampton which is a small rural supply town which many of the original shops. The news agency has the original floor boards with all the gaps and noisy creaks. There were also a collection of painted sheep statues dotted around the town.

    Next stop was a shopping mall in Geraldton, very exciting for me. A few essential clothes and a large supermarket shop. We also had lunch there and watched two duelling seagulls fighting for well over 30 minutes.

    Our destination was Mullewa which is small rural town almost 100km from Geraldton. The intention was to stop at a free camp site but we are still looking for it. When we realised we had missed the spot we decided to come to the caravan park in town. The main camp was full but they have an overflow area where we are for 2 nights.

    As it was the AFL grand final we walked to the country club next door for a drink and caught up with some neighbouring campers from Denham. Well done to the Demons they really put on a master class in the second half of the game. The country club was really busy as there was also an 80th birthday party happening. A real local watering hole that we were lucky to share.
    Read more