Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 92

    Wildflowers

    September 26, 2021 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 11 °C

    We experienced an unusual event this morning being woken up by rain on the caravan roof. The first time since we left Victoria, it only lasted 15 minutes but nice to experience after 90 days without. Before breakfast we walked the wildflower walk that starts beside the campground. Some of the flowers were past their best but there was enough colour to imagine what it would have looked like a week ago.

    In Mullewa there is an amazing church built by a catholic priest who was also an architect. Monsignor Hawes was responsible for over 50 churches all over the world along with being a committed parish priest. The church is impressive and the town is extremely proud of it and Monsignor Hawes.

    After walking through town we had a coffee and muffin at a pop-up cafe created by local artist Helen Ansell during the wildflower season. Her art was beautiful so it was an enjoyable way to spend some time. Unfortunately that is the only business left except for petrol and a food store.

    Next stop was something exciting for me. We drove to Pindar to see the wreath flowers. They are some very special flowers that only grow in a few areas. They also only grow on dirt that has been disturbed such as roadsides. They were incredible and every time I thought I had photographed the perfect one I found a better one. There were also beautiful flowers on the roadside and we reached a point where Regan threatened to take the camera off me.

    On the way back to the camp we did a tour of some of the farm land and noticed how the flowers changed on each road. We caught up with some friends on video and finally finished the Schitts Creek series. Tomorrow we continue in wildflower country as we head south.
    Read more