Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 170

    Chai Lai Orchid (elephant sanctuary)

    August 9, 2022 in Thailand ⋅ 🌧 25 °C

    This was the only thing from our trip that we had planned in advance, and also our big spent in Thailand. Alli had found this marvelous place on the internet (through some influencers, of course), and despite my doubts on the matter, I discovered that their way of working and the money distribution fitted my expectations, so I decided to accept and join her on this small adventure. Just after arriving we took a tour with the elephants were we hiked with them and bathed them. They were freeq and just accompanied us next to their trainers, and that's how I discovered how lovely animals they were. You could kiss them, hug them, feed them... And just feel the warmth they expelled. We had a brief introduction to traditional weaving after that and had some lunch to finish our tour. Even though it was a unique and gorgeous experience, I missed out a bit on the explanation about this animals and their lifestyle (in the wild and in this institution) and started to see that maybe this place wasn't exactly what they sold. In the evening there was a happy hour (with awful reggaeton) on the beautiful cafe with amazing views, where you could enjoy the company of the elephants. And next morning the elephants would come to your room at an arranged time so you could feed them and then have your own breakfast. Again, even though the experience was unique, the place was beautiful and the life of the elephants as it can't be seen anywhere else. But it was made for instagram, for taking pictures and videos, for looking pretty and for showing the rest of the world "look at what I am doing and you're not". This elephants weren't rescued, and they didn't live in the hotel, there were just an entertainment toy for tourists, even though they were treated kindly and with respect, their life was no more than posing for our pictures and making us believe we were doing something good for them. The place didn't have anything too special either, besides the elephants, so the price didn't correspond the quality of the service, which disappointed me a bit.

    Nevertheless, I don't regreat the experience, it was amazing and it gave me the chance to think and meditate around this subject (which I couldn't have done without seeing it), and I also understand that I've been lucky enough to see places as magical and exceptional that I can't be impressed so easily. We laughed, we let ourselves get impressed by this tranquil and powerful animals, we had some nice conversations with other people we met, we enjoyed, we swam, and we got ready for the rest of the country. Before heading towards the south, went to a michellin star restaurant for less than 1.50€, and took the train south.

    🏠 Accomodation: Chai Lai Orhid
    Read more