Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Bergen to home

    March 31 in Norway ⋅ ☁️ 8 °C

    After a good breakfast (buffet, so much choice!) we explored the little alleyways between the wooden buildings. A few shops were open but they are either full of tourist souvenirs tat - eg ugly trolls 🧌 - or real quality Norwegian knitwear which is very expensive.
    Our walk then took us along the harbour and up to the Bergenhus fortress. There are some enormous industrial looking ships which we assume serve the offshore rigs, and a very impressive tall ship.
    The fortress contains buildings dating as far back as the 1240s, as well as later constructions built as recently as World War II. Bergenhus is currently under the command of the Royal Norwegian Navy which has about 150 military personnel stationed there.
    The weather turned a little drizzly so we went back to the hotel before leaving for the airport.
    We caught the airport bus which conveniently stops outside our hotel.
    The check-in process is very slick as is typical of Norway and the flight left on time.
    We had a good view as we flew over the snowy mountains.
    It's been a wonderful trip, a great experience with memories that will stay with us forever.
    Read more