Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 15

    Upright Tombs

    June 7, 2021 in Ireland ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Another lovely sunny day greeted us on our second day in Kilronan.
    We went ashore again but somehow my idea of sitting, watching the world go by, accompanied by a nice coffee and cake didn’t come to pass.

    Jim and ‘Duracell Bunny’ Brian headed off at a trot. However this time Angela and I were able to guide them in a direction where we could at least see an end to the road.
    Along the way we came across what looked like upright tombs along the road dating from about 1811 to 1892.
    Martín O’ Bríain, an elderly local fisherman told us they were upright tombs.
    He knew Cobh fairly well as he had fished on Spanish trawlers for many years and they often put into Cobh. Jim had a good conversation in Irish, Spanish and a bit of English thrown in.
    I’m sure he is still having a quite chuckle at our expense about the ‘tombs’ though.
    Goggle it if you want the truth.

    We walked over to the other side of the bay and saw a Coast Guard helicopter landing at the aerodrome and an ambulance going out to meet it.
    May have been an exercise as nothing seem to happen after that.

    We called to the hotel on the way back and had soup and sandwiches. Our stop coincided with a heavy shower. For once our timing was impeccable.

    In the late afternoon we headed back to the boats both crews must have had enough of each others company that day as we stayed apart.
    I went for a snooze leaving Brian to make the dinner. Don't know what we had for dinner as all the log states is the the dinner was lovely and we had homemade garlic bread.
    Belly's full, we had an early night and plan to leave for Inishmaan tomorrow.
    Read more