Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 63

    Ronnie Delaney's hometown

    July 25, 2021 in Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    We had an early start this morning. Jim sprang 'Second Chance' off the marina and I followed soon afterwards at 08.00.

    Heading downriver next morning Jim & Angela had a near miss when a ferry reversed into the main channel in front of them.
    Even though Jim had got permission to depart our berths and head downriver we got no warning from the port authorities. Luckily Jim was keeping a sharp lookout, took evasive action and came to a stop.
    In Dublin it seemed that leisure craft were a nuisance. In Belfast it was much different. What a pity.

    We motored through Dalkey Sound to see how the other half live.
    Some were having their breakfasts outdoors overlooking the sea.
    I bet they were wishing they were where we were and not the other way around. Money isn’t everything.

    Three hours after leaving when we were south of Greystones, a sea breeze started and we were able to turn off the engines until we were close to Arklow when the wind died completely.

    We motored up the river to find the marina full so rafted up to a Bord Iaschaigh Mhara survey vessel.
    The manager of the marina came down and informed us that he wouldn’t charge us but expected us to make a donation to the next RNLI collection box we came across (we did).

    Angela had dinner in the oven and served it up soon after we tied up.
    After dinner we wandered up the town passing Ronnie Delaney's birthplace on the way. Ronnie won a gold medal at the Olympics in 1956.
    Read more