Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 64

    Kilmore Quay

    July 26, 2021 in Ireland ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    It was flat calm leaving Arklow this morning but slowly a breeze began and when we were south of the Arklow Bank we had enough wind to sail.
    I followed ‘Second Chance’ down inside the banks and they got future ahead as I had to slow off Rosslare to allow an inbound ferry to pass.

    Turning to starboard at Carnsore Point, we were back on the south coast for the first time since the end of May.

    As we closed on the Saltees, a Pan Pan went out for a yacht off Carnsore Point with the rope from a buoy wrapped around its prop shaft.
    We were too far away to be of help and within about 15 minutes the lifeboat went motoring past us at an appropriate speed for the circumstances.

    We tied up at the very busy marina and I met the present owner of ‘Ciúnas’ a little 21 ft. yacht that I owned between 1988-97.
    Our chat made me late for dinner. Suitable scolded by the cook and apologies accepted, we went ashore to have a look around.

    The lifeboat later towed in the disabled yacht, a fairly new looking 40 ft. plus boat with two elderly crew who didn’t look the best for their experience.
    One of the younger members of the RNLI crew later dived and removed the remains of the rope and it appeared it had caused no damage.

    We had a early night as we were all tired after a long hot day.
    Read more