Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Maori Cultural Show

    January 10, 2023 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    A delightful introduction to Maori culture held at Mitai Village at Rotorua. The evening begins with a war canoe arriving (the 1st picture) with men of the village chanting and flashing paddles in the traditional water approach to a village or even to conflict. The 2nd is a gateway to their sacred spring. It was on the river flowing from the spring that the canoe arrival was demonstrated.
    The 3rd picture is an update of their traditional method of cooking, especially for feasts. This is an excavated oven where a fire piled with river rock is burned to coals, and the food is place atop the rocks. It is then sealed until cooking is complete. You can see lamb, chicken, white and sweet potatoes, plus stuffing. That was the center of the feast they served. It was delicious.
    After dinner we moved to see their show. That's the next 6 pictures they began with the traditional welcoming ritual, followed by a number of demonstrations of games they play to develop hand eye coordination, arm strength, etc. all to improve their skills as warriors, men and women, both.
    The last picture is of a reconstructed traditional house. We were led on a tour after the show, but, in the dark, it was hard to see. We also saw glowworms, but the pictures I tried simply didn't come out. It is quite a sight.
    Read more