Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 56

    03.02.2024 Bali, Indonesia. Day 2/2

    March 2 in Indonesia ⋅ ☁️ 88 °F

    Following breakfast we were picked up by our guide “Kiwi” and driver Gede for an all day tour.

    The first thing we learned was regarding their naming convention. In general, Balinese people name their children depending on the order they are born, and the names are the same for both males and females. The firstborn child is named Wayan, Putu or Gede, the second is named Made or Kadek, the third child goes by Nyoman or Komang, and the fourth is named Ketut. The fifth child etc repeats the same 1-4 names.
    Gede is pronounced ga-day. Made is pronounced ma-day. Nyoman, the n is silent. Hence our guide is number 5 of 9 children so he is Gede but goes by kiwi.

    Our first stop was the rice fields. These are owned by two families. We wanted to swing out over the rice fields however we found out we’re too old. We had to be under 65. We wished we could have. This a picture of Terry and Beth .
    Our next stop was the Monkey Forest. It was full of long tail macaque monkeys. The live in families. There is a king with many wives and children. Fun to see and the forest was beautiful. We also saw a cremation temple and cemetery.
    We stopped for tea and coffee at Sayria Coffee. Brian and Jonathan tried the coffee made from cat poo. Yuck! It is very special type of cat.
    Our next stop was lunch Semar’ Kuning Resto. It was really good.
    From there we visited the Yala Art woodcarving store where they demonstrated wood carving.
    No purchases were made.
    Our next stop is the waterfall. Tegenungan Waterfall It is located at the village of Tegenungan Kemenuh, also known as Kemenuh Village on the Petanu River in the Gianyar Regency, north from the capital Denpasar and close to the Balinese artist village of Ubud.
    We did a little shopping and returned to our resort. We all celebrated happy hour in the hot tub.
    Our resort had a short Balinese dance show followed by a fire show. We had dinner at the resort and a flute player performed. Phenomenal!
    Off to bed as we have another full day tomorrow.
    Read more