Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 16

    Relaxing …..

    February 19, 2023 in the United States

    And what better place to relax than at the Grand Canyon.

    We set off this morning walking away from the rim to explore the village. We came across many buildings we didn’t know were here including a courthouse. We walked passed the mules who don’t seem to be working at the moment as the trails down into the Canyon are way too icy. This, however, doesn’t stop all the people taking to the trails. My heart is in my mouth the whole time watching them as the trails aren’t wide at all with a sheer drop off and lots and lots of ice on the trail. My heart is also in my mouth when Dave goes too close to the edge of the rim.

    While we were out walking, we decided to take a short cut through the glorious white untouched snow. Oh my what a laugh, the snow was so deep that it came half way up my thigh! We then had a snow fight as the snow was so soft and fluffy.

    We came back to the room to get ready to go out to lunch. We saw that since we were here back in 2016, a burger place had opened so we thought we would try it out. What a big disappointment, our dinner tonight back in our room of 2 minute noodles for Dave and toast for me was a lot my appetising.

    Back in our room for some relaxation before heading out this afternoon for our walk around the rim. Oh my it had got a little chillier than this morning so I ducked back to the room to get Dave’s beanie and off we went.

    After 2 hours of walking and exploring the shops, heavy clouds started to come in bringing with it icy cold winds so we headed back to the room and had our dinner. We bought some chocolate treats for after dinner on our way home.

    We were going to walk to the rim tonight to take in the beauty of the night sky as they say it is spectacular over the Canyon, however with the heavy clouds we didn’t think it would be clear enough so we have put that off until tomorrow night.

    There is a free shuttle bus that runs all year round here in the village, so tomorrow we are going to catch the shuttle to have a look around the village plus it stops at their grocery store. As we head to Monument Valley on Tuesday, we will stock up on some groceries for that part of our adventure.

    Here’s to another amazing day tomorrow.
    Read more