Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 33

    Around the Cape Horn to Ushuaia.

    February 4, 2020, South Atlantic Ocean ⋅ 🌬 48 °F

    After nine days in the ocean (could not stop in Falkland Island), we are waiting with anticipation to get on land in Ushuaia, Argentina. We are docking at 7:00 PM and staying overnight.
    We got up at 6:00 AM today because at 6:30 AM we were going around Cape Horn.

    Cape Horn is the southernmost point of the Tierra del Fuego archipelago of southern Chile, and is located on the small Hornos Island. Although not the most southerly point of South America (which are the Diego Ramerez Islands), Cape Horn marks the northern boundary of the Drake Passage and marks where the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans meet.

    Again, the weather was not cooperating. It was very windy and rainy, so I refused to go outside. Boris went outside for a very short time and came back. I was listening to naturalist on TV.

    This passage considered to be the rough passage of the ship, but the sea was calm and we had smooth sailing.

    I attended a very interesting lecture about ingenious people of this area, who are regarded as the southernmost peoples in the world. The tribe is Yahgan and unfortunately the last member of this tribe died in the beginning of XX century.

    Despite the extremely cold climate in which they lived, early Yaghan wore little to no clothing until after their extended contact with Europeans.They were able to survive the harsh climate because:

    They kept warm by huddling around small fires when they could, including in their boats to stay warm. The name of "Tierra del Fuego" (land of fire) was based on the many fires seen by passing European explorers.

    They made use of rock formations to shelter from the elements.

    They covered themselves in animal grease.

    Over time, they had evolved significantly higher metabolisms than average humans, allowing them to generate more internal body heat.

    Their natural resting position was a deep squatting position, which reduced their surface area and helped to conserve heat.

    The lecture was by the woman that was born and raised in Ushuaia, but now she lives in Australia.

    While I was at the lecture, Boris was at his watercolor class. He painted very nice albatross.

    By 7:30 PM we arrive Ushuaia. I could not wait to go ashore after 9 days in the sea. It is not an easy town to navigate with a wheelchair. We walked for two hours, got some chocolate and came back on the ship by 9:30 PM. Tomorrow we have an early tour.

    To see more pictures, please use the link: https://photos.app.goo.gl/dT4j9477mPff8RWq5

    More pictures will come later.
    Read more