Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Dinner at the hole around the corner

    February 4, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Had dinner at a place that’s down the back alley, around the corner and down another back alley from our hotel (that’s down a back alley already). What can I say, it had good reviews!

    Pretty weird joint! Pictures of the family going back about 100 years on the walls. Geckos everywhere - realized halfway through dinner that there were about a dozen of them right above our heads... cabinets of old costume jewelry for sale between the tables... I think one of them had even been washed this century.

    What really added to the ambiance though was the huge courtyard that was part of the restaurant that was stuffed with weird old stuff. Racks of old clothes, half a dozen busted bikes, old printer, a temple (of course), and some sleeping woman that we spent half the meal trying to decide if she was a corpse, or just asleep (spoiler - just asleep!). The 200 year old hunchback that seemed to be cooking the food added a little something too.

    They did have a gourd-tree in the courtyard though! We had no idea gourd-trees were real things, but they are! Halfway through the meal one of them fell down - they land with a pretty good wallop. Asked the woman who owns the place what you do with them, and she said that they’re just for decoration.
    Read more