Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Tanah Lot temple complex

    February 5, 2019 in Indonesia ⋅ ⛅ 32 °C

    That is some impressive photography! Makes it look like Meg wasn’t continuously whining from the first step about the heat, lack of ice cream and the horror of walking back to a restaurant to eat instead of one appearing magically in front of her when hunger arose.

    Never seen quite so many stalls selling tourist stuff anywhere before - there were far more stalls than tourists, and *way* more stalls than temples. Can’t imagine that the temples are still active, it’s got to be just for tourists now (including the suspicious brand new temples being built at this ancient site...). Of course we did find a nice wooden monkey-box for Davy’s Bali souvenir, and it was a pretty pain-free process. The Balinese touts are pretty good.

    Having said that, it is a pretty impressive place. Right on the water with some of temples out on little islands that are only accessible at low tide. You can even see where some temples used to be carved right into the rock under water (don’t know if that’s global warming or if they just used to have wet basements).

    Walked down one random path where the concrete had been set with various giant leaves on the surface that then made a permanent etching. Made for a great pattern that might show up one day in our garden.
    Read more