Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Forum Boararium Area

    May 11, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Walked back down the hill and then did a walk through this area where animals were brought in by boat for slaughter and distribution. Nancy feeling a bit tired in her feet but Doug remains fascinated and engaged to see all the corners of the neighbourhood thanks to his new shoes, inserts and support sox (?bionic man). However, he admits in the end, yes he is getting tired too, it's been a long day since that jog up the Spanish steps!

    A quiet corner of the city, this area beside the Tiber is great for escaping the crowds. The site was ancient Rome’s first port and its busy cattle market; substantial Classical remains include two small temples from the Republican age and the Arch of Janus from the later Empire. In the 6th century the area became home to a Greek community from Byzantium who founded the churches of San Giorgio in Velabro and Santa Maria in Cosmedin.
    Also seen were: San Giovanni Decollato; Arch of Janus; Arco degli Argentori; San Giorgio in Velabro; San Teodoro; Santa Maria della Consolazione; Sant’Omabono; Casa dei Crescenzi; Forum Boarium; Fontana dei Tritoni; Cloaca Maxima.

    Article:
    http://www.aviewoncities.com/rome/forumboarium.htm
    Read more