Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 23

    Jerusalem Wrap Up

    October 25, 2022 in Israel ⋅ ☁️ 23 °C

    Leaving Jerusalem by train around 1pm. What a beautiful city. Can't say enough about it. One usually thinks that the really lovely cities are built around water features, but here is this dry place that is pretty at every turn. Now, it is not total desert -- the ridge of the Mount of Olives provides the divide between the coastal plain on the western slope and the Judean desert on the eastern slope, but it is a dry Med climate. But it is the soft yellow stone buildings, that almost glow, whether they are new or old, tumbling over all the hills and valleys, with tress and parks everywhere except in the Old City itself. Then the sense of history and significance to three great religions at every step it seems.

    Day 1 I arrived and just did a short wander around the neighborhoods -- Downtown Triangle or Ben Yehuda-Zion Square. Just the evening walk, so 11,268 steps.
    Day 2 was the Old City. Walked there and caught the tram back before the Sabbath shut down. Does this place ever shut down. Literally not a place to eat. Old City zig zags brought 15,388 steps.
    Day 3 not on the map as I left Jerusalem (chose Saturday to avoid the Sabbath shutdown) for a bus tour of the West Bank. Still managed 9,841 steps from where the coach parks to and in the attractions.
    Day 4 was a museum day at Yad Vashem and Israel museum. Tram up, Taxi between and a bus back. Most of the walking was in the museums and cam to 11,869 steps
    Day 5 was the Mount of Olives. Such great views starting at the top. Very difficult downhill walk on the knees, and was very sore the rest of the day, but was fine after a rest for dinner. 16,839 steps seemed like more
    Day 6 was just the morning then a train ride. Easy 11,073 steps.
    Bye Jerusalem!
    Read more