Satellite
  • Day 17

    Bergen

    July 20, 2017 in Norway ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Snapshot
    Where - Bergen
    Weather - MAGIC! Warm and 24°C
    Steps - about 12,000 or 9km

    Bergen is known to be one of the wettest places in Europe, with rain over 250 days per year....but not today! Once again we had picture perfect weather - how lucky are we.

    Our shore excursion included atour of the town plus a furnicular ride to Mt Floien for some great views of Bergen. Our clever guide "call me Ishmael" (sounds like a line from Moby Dick - haha), decided to take us up the furnicular first to avoid the crowds and this was a good call because when we returned the queues waiting for the furnicular were lined up halfway down the street. The views at the top were fabulous as I hope the photos show.

    Next back in town we walked to the Bryggen Wharf, which if you Google Bergen, is the scene usually used. These middle-aged style wooden buildings were the site of Bergen's shipping and commerce and are now a UNESCO World Heritage Site - despite being burnt down completely 3 times in the 1400's, 1700's and 1900's.

    We went to the fish market and bought some fish and chips for lunch which was nice but at about 160 Kroner each (about AUD$25 ), it was a tad expensive. Norway is not cheap. The rest of the day we wandered around taking in the sights and enjoying the lovely weather. Glad to get back on the ship though as this trip has involved a lot of walking and it was time for a LLD (little lie down).

    One final stop on this cruise - Flam (pronounced Flom).
    Read more