Satellite
  • Day 12

    Out and about around the Dead Sea

    May 16, 2022 in Israel ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    A very full day doing activities around the Dead Sea (this time Israel side). First stop was Qumran which is where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered in 1947 by a young Bedouin sheepherder after his sheep ventured into a cave and wouldn't come out. There he found 7 jars containing the scrolls recounting Biblical stories. After this discovery, many other scrolls were found hidden in caves throughout the area.

    We continued into Masada which is a fortress set high in the mountains overlooking the Dead Sea. Apparently there was an epic movie (Cecil B de Mil style) about Masada but I had never heard of it. Originally built as a Palace for King Herod it became the last bastion for Jewish freedom fighters against the Romans. It's fall signalled the end of the Kingdom of Judea. Masada is A UNESCO World Heritage site as it is the most complete surviving Roman seige system in the world.

    Next stop was another float in the Dead Sea and even though we had already done it on the Jordan side, this was so much better. The access was easier and the water was warmer - I really enjoyed it this time.

    Finally we returned to Jerusalem, calling into the obligatory factory stop where they make the Dead Sea minerals skin care products. No doubt they are good, but outrageously expensive. Then onto Jericho which is the oldest city in the world and also the place where they believe Jesus was tempted by Satan when he wandered in the wilderness for 40 days fasting. It is also known for the place where Joshua's army marched around the city walls 7 times and the walls came tumbling down. However there was nothing really to see regarding the walls and Jericho as a city was quite grubby, particularly compared to Jerusalem.

    Last day in Jerusalem, off to Bethlehem tomorrow.
    Read more