Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Shimla

    February 19, 2023 in India ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Despite feeling shocking again after only four hours’ sleep, we got up promptly at 7am and were first down to breakfast! The day started with a very informative talk and slides about Shimla (the capital of the Himachal Pradesh region), surrounding geography, the East India Company in India and colonisation of India by the Brits. I discovered some woman had had 10 hours sleep and wanted to kill her! 😣

    We then all piled into taxis, 4 to a car, and went up to the Viceregal Lodge where the Viceroys of India lived until partition in 1947-the last Viceroy being Lord Mountbatten of Burma. Shimla was the summer retreat of the Brits during their rule due to the cooler mountain air and it was thought that one fifth of the world was ruled from here during the summer months, as the Brits couldn’t stand the heat. Indeed, Shimla saw some of the most pivotal moments of colonial history. We had a tour and a talk there and a stroll in the grounds.

    Back to the cars and the Hindu Sankat Monchat temple. As it was a Sunday lots of locals were visiting, ringing the bell before entering the temple and taking offerings. The only access for all these people was up a death defying set of steps (about 8) with a wonky handrail so lots of care taken here! A couple of poor old beggar women were seated opportunely at the top of the steps but we have all been warned not to make eye contact or give anything………. 😔. Good views of Shimla were had from here, Ted grazed his lower leg on something sharp, which bled but then, on return to the steps, we nearly lost a group member when she missed her step, grabbed the dodgy handrail, fell to the ground and nearly went backwards (head first) down an unguarded 12 foot drop, saved only by a quick acting Indian couple, plus Ted who leapt forward and grabbed her feet! As this is the same unfortunate woman who left her handbag somewhere in Delhi airport with her phone and credit card in I can only say this could be a holiday to remember, but for the wrong reasons!

    Back to the cars to a hotel for lunch then, during the afternoon, a stroll around Shimla with Raj, the local guide. We walked along the Mall, the main thoroughfare with its variety of shops, stopped for a visit to the Gaiety Theatre where a drama group was practising, stopped at Scandal Point where all the gossip was exchanged, visited Christ Church with a huge statue of the elephant god on the hillside behind. All along the streets are groups of Macaque monkeys who are aggressive and to be avoided as they will pinch hats and sunglasses from your face if they can, that’s if the stray dogs don’t chase them away first! A good 40 min walk back to the hotel and then Ted and I had a swim in the most delightful indoor heated pool prior to dinner. 🤞I sleep tonight.
    Read more