Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Old Town Hanoi

    August 22, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ 🌧 31 °C

    Still walking but someone misread the map so we walked about 30min the wrong way. Now back on track we walked back the Old Quarter which is where our hotel is located.

    Packed with charming colonial architecture, Buddhist temples and pagodas, the Old Quarter is located in Hoan Kiem District. Its heart and soul is exposed in the ancient commercial streets which are named after their original businesses dating back about 1,000 years.

    Though most of the specialties cotton, jewellery, herbs, and silk have changed over time and have been replaced with a variety of modern-day commodities and services, visitors can still appreciate some of the original goods as well as get a feel of rich old Vietnamese customs.

    The preserved shop-houses that lie along these roads were built a little over a century ago and were constructed in their long and narrow style to avoid being hit by high taxes. Each has a street facing facade and multiple courtyards inside. The front part of the buildings is where trading takes place while the family occupies the rest. Though one shop-house was meant to be for one family with many generations, nowadays it is more common to see quite a few families jammed in under one roof. There are plenty of cafes, bars, a variety of restaurants, bakeries, boutique shops and art galleries in this historical area. The area now covers 36 streets.

    Back at the hotel for a little rest and to cool down before our adventure tonight.
    Read more