Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Blue Cave

    July 8, 2023 in Croatia ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    Despite the day before being like a movie, we had booked an island and blue cave tour that we had to make it for. Although we drank hundreds of dollars worth of liquor the night before we woke up feeling not too bad. Perhaps our bodies were still in shock of the yacht lifestyle we lived for a night, or we were still drunk. Whatever it was, we jumped on our boat and headed towards a small island off the island of Vis. On the way we boated past the Agape Rose and Jack and I marvelled one last time in its beauty and once again questioned how the fuck we ended up there the night before. Knowing the family were going to Split that day we knew we would not see it again. Nonetheless, we had a great day ahead of us, and the first beach was fantastic and provided a great opportunity to relax quickly and recover a little bit more after the big night. While snorkelling, Jack had spotted an octopus that got quite a bit of attention from other tourists. It would have been cool to get a photo of it but my underwater phone cover was left at the apartment. I was slow moving in the morning and forgot it. We then headed to the green cave, which I once again couldn't take photos of because we had to swim out. It was cool though, you had to pay 12 euro but a small hole in the roof of the cave meant that a little bit of light shun in and turned the cave slightly green. Although no where near as cool as the blue cave you could at least swim in there. The blue cave was the next stop and this was phenomenal. It functions on a whole lot of natural coincidences that, when combined, create a spectacular natural light show. Firstly, it faces the perfect direction to ensure it always gets sunlight throughout the day (even changing colour from morning and afternoon). Secondly, the sand below the cave is white and is able to reflect the sunlight through the bottom of the ocean (carrying with it the blueness of the water). Finally, the caves shape ensures that although completely enclosed from the water surface, under the water, there is plenty of space for light to pass through. The tiny entrance that you boat through was man-made to ensure that people could enter the cave for tourism but left small to not interfere with the bright blue colour in the cave itself. The original entrance is nothing more than a small crevice on a random island in the middle of the Adriatic Sea. Why someone decided to crawl through it is beyond me, but the view they would have got once they went through would have felt other-worldly.

    After this, we made our way to the final stop of the tour, Parmizana. This was a really cool place to park up for a beer and some food. Despite the huge night, I had not yet eaten a single thing, and it was now approaching 3 p.m. As a result, we stopped for a quick feed and a snorkel. When we went got to the boat to collect the equipment, we started chatting with the 2 guys running the tour. Eventually, a few other captains from other boats had congregated onto our boat, and before we knew it, they were all smoking weed, despite the tour not yet being over. Despite needing to continue captaining our ship, these guys rolled the largest joint I've ever seen and punched through all of it. The guys were super chill and explained how they work in Bosnia throughout 9 months of the year, doing random jobs, and come to Croatia each summer to captain ships and party. It didn't sound like a bad setup at all. Eventually, everyone was back in the boat, and we began the short journey back to Hvar (Hoping our captain wasn't too stoned to steer the ship).

    Jack and I were itching to tell the guys at the hostel that the recommendation to go to Hula Hula last night paid off, and some. They were in disbelief that in one night in Hvar, we managed to get onto a yacht. We then proceeded to mention it as often as possible to all of the people I the hostel. Myself and some Canadian girls we met at the hostel decided to turn it into a drinking game, and any time Jack mentioned the word "yacht," we had to drink. Safe to say we were plastered by the time we decided to head out for town. It wasn't as exciting a night as the previous, but we still had a lot of fun with the Canadian girls.
    Read more