Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    Relaxing day

    September 22, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    Today we have no special plans organized so we decide to go up to Waimea upstate park and Koke’e state park. From here we will again get a different view of the Napali coast where we hiked the Kalalau trail. We are told it is worth to go see on a nice day.

    We start the day by changing our rental car. As we leave the resort we get a warning from the front left tyre. We look at it and notice a nail 😫. There was a slow leak. We install the spare and head back to the rental place. This time we decide to go full tourist and get a Jeep. Why not, we are going up a canyon. You never know what the road conditions might be. It’s the first time I drive a Jeep.

    We continue to our destination while James our travel guide explains some of the history of Kauai and Hawaii. It’s quite interesting and is it makes the drive more enjoyable. We get to various views of the canyon. They call this place the Hawaii Grand Canyon and for a good reason. It’s amazing. There are multiple hues of reds and greens. It’s quite beautiful. We are also very lucky to have a sunny day as this place is known for getting lots and lots of rain.

    After getting a view of the Kalalau trail from the top, we stop at a small dinner in the park for some lunch. I order the traditional Loco Moco. The meal consists of rice with a beef patty on it and 2 eggs over easy on top of that. There is brown gravy covering the whole plate. It was quite good. It’s considered a comfort food.

    We then return back to the resort to enjoy a nice swim and relax.

    For dinner we head over to Hualani’s to meet Jen. Jen is a mutual friend from Basia and Marc who moved to Hawaii 2 years ago from Canada. She shares with us some of the new things she had to get used to in moving here. She also shares that she will hike the Kalalau trail in a couple of weeks. We share our tips that we learned from our hike. Jen also tells us that she bikers up the canyon on Sunday’s. Wow, that is quite the ride. The hike will be easy peasy in that case. I hope they get good weather.

    The restaurant is on top of a hill by the ocean and is gorgeous and very modern. Our kind of place. I have a locally grown rib eye steak. It melted in my mouth. No room for dessert, we say our goodbyes and head back to our resort.
    Read more