Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 146

    Ferry over to Picton

    June 4, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 12 °C

    This morning we woke up at 6.30 to get the ferry over to Picton from the interislander terminal. We checked in our large bags and waited about half an hour before getting on the ferry. We left at 9.30am. Not everything was open on the ferry due to covid 19. No shops were open. But we were able to get some chips and a coffee on board. We went out on the deck, the sea was quite calm. Unfortunately the top deck was closed. Coming in to picton the sea was turquoise and there were low clouds and fog, it was very picturesque.

    We got in to Picton around 1pm. We picked up our hire car from thrifty. We only paid $212 each for 4 weeks. We picked a Mitsubishi Outlander due to having lots of boot space and a comfortable car for the 4 weeks. We decided to call the car silver lining! We checked in to tombstone backpackers around 2pm. We booked a family room as it was the same price as a dorm room. The room is lovely.

    Unfortunately it was raining most the day but we did get out and go for a walk around picton Harbour. In the evening we went to the supermarket. We had spicy chicken, homemade wedges and veg and shared a nice bottle of sauvignon blanc called Bay and the Barnes block back at the hostel which was recommended by a local in the supermarket . We also got some travel planning done for the south island tip.
    Read more