Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 148

    Queen charlotte drive to Nelson

    June 6, 2020 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 9 °C

    This morning we drove down the Queen charlotte track to Nelson. We drove down very windy roads surrounded by native forests. The views were amazing of the Malbourough sounds looking out to sea. We stopped off at a view point on the way called Cullen point. Kyra did a introductory video for her vlog here of us all introducing ourselves. It will soon be up on YouTube. We stopped of at Havelock, famous for its green mussels. We went to the Mussel Pot to try them. It kept Ashleigh happy. I also tried one which was very adventurous for me! It didn't taste so bad just tasted of garlic and cream, but I wasn't too keen on the chewy slimy texture.

    We then drove on to Nelson down more windy roads. I was starting to feel a little car sick. When we arrived at Paradiso hostel. The board was down at reception and note to say they were in the kitchen. The lady was behind reception and when we asked if we could check in she said she was on her lunch and the computer wasn't working. She was a bit rude. She said to come back later but make ourselves at home. It was funny she said this when we rang to make a booking she said she was not in the office and on lunch and to book on booking.com and when we then rang again the evening before she said she was out at the shop so couldn't book for us!

    As we couldn't check in yet we decided to walk in to Nelson. Nelson was surprisingly bigger than I thought. Lots of shops cafes and restaurants. We walked up some steps to the gardens and there was a church at the top. We then walked to Nelson Harbour. On the way back we stopped off at countdown to get some ingredients for spag bol. When we got back the lady wasn't at reception... No surprise there. We had to phone her. She came down and said she couldn't fit us in the same 4 bed dorm so we had to go in separate dorms. Ashleigh and I in one, Conny and Kyra in the other. The bathrooms aren't very clean here and the bunk beds aren't comfortable.

    We did however enjoy spag bol with garlic bread for our evening meal. We were all very hungry after a long day. The hostel was very busy and noisy. A lot of people drunk. It could well be a long night. Hoping to get some sleep.
    Read more