Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Arriving in Shanghai

    April 12, 2012 in China ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Our flight to Shanghai was scheduled at 12:30pm so that didn't leave us much time in the morning. We took advantage of the coupons we received while checking-in and had breakfast at the hotel. Plenty of choices including Chinese noodles, soups,etc however we went for something more conventional (toast, coffee and scrambled eggs).

    The hotel booked us a taxi to the airport for 150 Yuan, which is not that bad.

    Our plane took off on time so we arrived to the massive Pudong airport in Shanghai as expected. Instead of booking a Van we went for a taxi. I had the name of the hotel written in Chinese so it wasn't a problem for the taxi driver to take us there, obviously I noticed that he made a couple of extra turns to extend the journey but at the end the fare was 160 Yuan.

    We stayed at the Rayfont celebrity hotel, not that we were some sort of celebrities but the price was reasonable, well actually out of the 3 hotels we stayed over in China this was by far the best. With no time to waste we hurried up to the nearest metro station located within 5 minutes walk from the hotel.
    Our destination Naijing road and the bund, I just wanted to take a picture of Pudong.

    The ticket machines were really easy to use and in both Chinese and English. After two train changes we finally arrived at Naijing road station and from there the bund was only 4 blocks away. Walking along Naijing road reminded me of Hong Kong due to the multitude of Neon lights.

    The views of Pudong skyline looked really impressive, a bit of a mist covered the top of the Shanghai World Financial centre (aka the bottle opener) still amazing.

    The air was a bit cold so we took a taxi back to the hotel, our first glimpse at Pudong didn't let me down
    Read more